Otakon 2013: Only two weeks away?!?

In just two weeks, we will once again venture to Baltimore to attend Otakon, a huge convention of anime and fantasy fans. The best part of going is the costumes, so we're going all out again this year, with completely new costumes!
The best part is that my husband Bob has agreed to come along, so I have four costumes to finish in the coming weeks. I've already been working on them, but haven't been taking pictures, so really haven't had much to post about (sorry). However, over the next two weeks, I'll be slaving away at my machines, churning out costumes for Bob, Ian, Diana and myself.

Qui Gon Jinn

Diana has always maintained that Bob looks a lot like Qui Gon Jinn, as played by Liam Neeson in "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace."
Whether or not that's true, he certainly has the hair and beard to play the part. So he needs to have the proper costume: a dark brown robe, layered tunics, tabard, obi, belt and boots.
This evening I finished the second muslin of the outer robe, and I'm happy enough with it that I'll be cutting the final fabric tomorrow.
Yeah, I know, it's just a fancy bathrobe. But I had to get the sleeves and hood just right. I'm happy with the hood, but will have to add just a little to the sleeves and take a bit off the hem. The fabric I'm using is a theatrical velour, which looks substantial and drapes beautifully but isn't so heavy that he's going to get overheated (after all, this will be August in Baltimore!).

What about the rest of us?

I'll be posting more about the other costumes in the next few days. Suffice it to say, I've been having freakishly good luck with getting the fit just about perfect on the first try for every other costume element. It almost makes me worry.

Comments

  1. You are so dedicated to make it all out of muslin first! I always think about how I should and then go naaah it will be okay. :) I will try to force (pun) myself to do it next time

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!