Saying goodbye to our kitty

Yesterday was a sad day here. We lost our wonderful 13-year-old kitty, Stripe. He hadn't been showing signs of illness (other than being on thyroid medication), but we found him pale and weak by our bedroom door around lunchtime. Bob hurried him to the vet but it appeared that he had lost a large amount of blood due to a tumor that ruptured his stomach. He wouldn't have survived the trip to the animal hospital in the next city that could perform a transfusion, so we chose to let him go painlessly and with dignity.


My daughter took this picture of Stripe a few months ago. He was such a beautiful guy. He loved (and tolerated) children; my neighbor's little boy loved coming over and petting him.

Stripe came to us as a stray back in 1998. We had recently adopted two other strays, Gaia and her kitten Gingevere. When this sleek tabby started nosing around the property, we were sure the two cats would chase him off. Instead, they welcomed him into the family. We were worried they would welcome more of their stray friends, but any subsequent cat was quickly chased away.

We lost Gaia in 2006; now Gingevere is the lone kitty in the house.We've been giving him lots more scritches and hugs. We'll all need time to adjust to life without Stripe. He is sorely missed.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Stripe. I love the story of how your other cats adopted him, however. Obviously a charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your kitty - what a handsome cat he was! I think you did right by not putting him through needless suffering. So enjoy the kitty you still have as we all know how hard it is to lose a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sympathies. We lost our cat unexpectedly 2 years ago and I still miss him. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about Stripe. He had a good life with you all... What a lucky cat to have been given such a loving home. and what lucky people to have had a loving friend like Stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved Stripe. He died an adored kitty with a loving home and that is the hope, dream and wish of every cat in the world and you gave that to him. You were lucky to have him, and him to have you.

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to read of your loss. I feel it deeply, because we lost our 11 yr. kitty yesterday. Fill your mind with all the happy memories, and know they aren't in pain anymore. I want to believe they are lying in petual sunbeams.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!