For my birthday this coming weekend, we're having a 60's-themed party, and I finally decided what to wear.
The issue with this dress is its deceptive simplicity. The darts are cunningly rotated into the seams, so while it appears to be a series of flat rectangles, there's actually a fair bit of shaping going on.
Close analysis and a bit of playing around with Pattern Editor got me pretty far in designing the pattern:
And the fabric! The original is in a wool jersey. I thought for sure G Street Fabrics would have an outstanding collection from which to choose. I wish!! I was so disappointed. Even their cotton knits didn't have the range of colors I needed. So I resigned myself to going to JoAnns, which ended up having every color I needed.
The blue I found is a bit more royal than the original, and the yellow looks a bit orange-y, but I think it will all work. Right now, the biggest snag I'm encountering is that my wide-format printer seems to be on the fritz, so I'll have to print these on regular paper and tape them together. I've gotten so spoiled, not having to do that anymore.
I'm not going to do a real muslin; rather, I will cut out the pieces and baste them together and test the fit that way. My goal is to get the fit tweaked by Wednesday and get all the finishing work done by Thursday.
Now I need to find a pair of white Go-Go Boots to go with the dress, and I'll be all set!
Dish draining racks
15 hours ago