Back from Puyallup... What an adventure!

I got back last night from Puyallup; boy, I'd forgotten how much travel really tires you out! The flights both ways were pleasant (I really do like Southwest Airlines), but boring!! Thank heavens for my portable video player.

The reason I was going to Puyallup was to work in the Wild Ginger Software booth, so I wasn't able to take any classes. However, Paul and Lisa Shanley, the owners of Wild Ginger and otherwise known as the Nicest People on the Planet, gave me ample breaks to wander around and visit other booths (and to eat).

This was my second trip to the great Sewing Expo, so it wasn't as much of an overwhelming experience as last year, but it was still a lot of fun.

The People
It was crowded! According to officials, attendance was down about 1,000 from last year. But, when you consider that last year there were 35,000 attendees, that's a drop in the bucket. Lots of people came by the Wild Ginger booth to say hello, which was fantastic. I finally got to meet Kay Lancaster!
I also got to say hi to Phyllis Carlyle, an incredibly talented woman who is also a Wild Ginger user.

The Purchases
I actually didn't spend very much at the Expo, but did manage to find some goodies to take home.
First of all was a visit to Fine French Laces, whose booth was just crammed with heaps of the most lovely lace trims and appliques. It was so hard to choose, but I managed to settle on a few pieces (in between chatting in Dutch with owner Luc Smiers). The picture below doesn't do them justice!

Also at this booth, I picked up several packages of exquisite antique needles, thanks to a tip from Kay Lancaster.


On Sunday I made my way to the Pendleton Wool booth and picked up a few goodies:


At the top is a houndstooth that is the perfect weight for a skirt and jacket, and below is a navy blue melton that will probably become a peacoat (in my copious free time, of course!).

And, since I don't have enough hobbies, I picked up a needle felting starter kit, just because it's something I've always wanted to try, and it seemed reasonable at $25. It has the felting tool, a foam backer block, and a bunch of colors of roving for experimenting. I also picked up a larger package of the turquoise roving, since it went so nicely with the navy melton; I might try to do some embellishment on the peacoat when I make it.


The Omniruler booth had a terrific special: stuff a bag with notions for $5! I now have a lifetime supply of cover-your-own belt buckles, swimsuit hooks, collar stays, snaps and bobbins!


What I Didn't Do
Take enough pictures. I don't have any pictures of our booth, or the halls, or the food, or anything. I was just too darned busy to remember to take pictures!!

Coming Home
My flight was scheduled to depart at 7:10 a.m., which meant I had to leave our hotel at the ghastly hour of 4 in the morning. One of these days, I will actually get to see Seattle in the daylight.
The sun was just up when we took off, and the morning rain had cleared up somewhat, which allowed me one tantalizing glimpse of Mt. Ranier:

Even from a hundred miles away, it's impressive. It's even making its own weather: see the clouds skimming off the summit? Cute story: there was a little boy sitting in the row behind me with his dad, and I told him, "You know what? That's not a mountain. It's a volcano!" The boy's eyes got real big, and his dad said, "Really? I didn't know that!" It's true... where we have hurricane evacuation route signs on the east coast, Puyallup had Volcano evacuation route signs.

Baltimore was lovely from the air; the area had had its first significant snowfall of the winter. As we landed I could see the snowplows still working constantly to keep the runways clear of drifting snow.


Now I'm home, catching up on my sleep, and ready to tackle my next big project: DreamGirls gowns!

Comments

  1. I've heard that show is terrific. Lucky you! The photos are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!