Welcome to my Sewing Blog!

Okay, I'm a little late entering the fray. Being somewhat "old school", I've been stuck on using a traditional website to show my sewing and crafting creations. Well, so much for that! It's so 20th century!!

I can't guarantee how often I'll update this... it really depends upon how productive my sewing is over the coming months. I do plan to do a lot of garment work, and there are a few special projects in the works, so it might end up being a pretty active blog. No pressure!


My latest project was a real quickie: a tote bag made from newspaper front pages from election day coverage. It was very easy to make: I used Heat 'n' Bond Lite to fuse the newspaper pages to some canvas, then the fronts were protected with Heat 'n' Bond iron-on vinyl. Since the resulting material is pretty inflexible, the bag had to be constructed right-sides-out, with exposed seams. I covered the seams with bias banding.

To prevent having to sew the straps right over the newsprint, I added a top band of canvas.

The bag has gotten a lot of attention, and I think it's a better way to keep the newspapers as mementoes. I was going to do the same with the Inaugural front pages, but the paper ended up getting recycled before I could grab it out of the recycling bin. Darn!

For one side I used the front page of The Washington Post; the other side has the front page of The New York Times. The pictures are almost identical... but not exactly.

So that's it for my first blog post... Gee, how exciting! But stay tuned... I'm planning on making a few more posts in the coming days about those upcoming projects. Thanks for visiting!

Comments